2017 Polar Plunge and After Splash Bash at Versailles State Park
The 2017 Polar Plunge wasn’t quite as cold as it has been in the past ten years, but it was still a huge success.
The event raised a preliminary amount of $46,904 for Special Olympics Indiana. All proceeds from this event benefit Special Olympics athletes in our community, giving them the means to train locally and to compete at the state, national and international levels in a number of Olympic-type sports.
189 chill-seekers took the plunge at the Versailles reservoir on an afternoon when the air temperature reached the mid-60s. Another 80-plus people participated in the Polar Climb 5K Run/3K Walk the morning prior to the big splash.
Many awards and presentations were handed out during The After Splash Bash.
- The area Knights of Columbus – District 28 (Aurora, Batesville, Osgood, Bright, Lawrenceburg) were recognized for their statewide sponsorship of the 18 Plunges that took place across the state
- Overall Best Costume – Tyler Hinkle dressed as a sumo wrestler
- Largest Group – The Powerlifting Polar Bears with 26 members
- Individual Raising the Most Money – Matthew Menchhofer with $2,510 (Special Olympics athlete)
- Team Raising the Most Money – The Knights, Lions, and Bears (Knights of Columbus and Lions Clubs) with nearly $6,181
Safety Challenge Award (EMS,Fire and Police)
- Raising the Most Money – The Moores Hill Fire Chicks with $1,343. Receiving the award for the sixth year in a row.
Cool School Challenge Awards
Participating in this year’s Cool School Challenge were Milan High School, South Ripley High School, and for the first year, South Ripley High School.
- Top Cool School Fundraising Team – South Ripley High School
- Top Cool School Fundraising Team “Rookie” Division – South Dearborn High School
- Star Student Rasing the Most Money – Kylie Werner of South Ripley High School
- Top Teacher/Coach Raising the Most Money – Noel Houze of Milan High School with $345
- The Overall Cool School Trophy and keeping “Tundra” the traveling Polar Bear for another year – South Ripley School by raising $4,906
Thank you to our local sponsors
- Versailles State Park/DNR
- Neganagard Tents & Party Rental
- Ferrall Gas
- Best Way Disposal
- Southeastern Indiana REMC
- Batesville Chrysler & Jeep
- Signarama Lawrenceburg
- City of Lawrenceburg
- Decatur County ABATE
- Dillsboro Civic Club
- Haag Ford
- UCB Charitable Foundation
- Aurora Lions Club
- Interim Care
- Mathis Moto Mart
- Osgood Lions Club
- Milan Lions Club
- Versailles Lions Club
- Batesville Lions Club
- Ohio ROD
Thank you to our media partners
- Register Publications
- WRBI Country 103.9
- The Eagle 99.3
- Greensburg Daily News
Thank you to our safety personal
- Dearborn County Water Rescue Search and Recovery
- Rescue 69
- Versailles Police Dept.
- Ripley County Sheriff’s Dept.
- Milan Boy Scouts, who assisted with parking
Many thanks to our volunteers who helped with set up and clean up, worked a booth/game or on the race course, and/or assisted with staging of Plungers – without you we would not be able to pull off such an event. Thank you!