Presented by the City of Lawrenceburg
SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2023
LAWRENCEBURG CIVIC PARK
In partnership with the Lawrenceburg Fire Department
A one-day event with teams competing to pull a fully loaded fire truck weighing 50,000 pounds. It’s the ultimate tug of war challenge and a great team building event. This event will also feature family attractions and fire safety displays/demonstrations. Free admission.
All proceeds from the event go to support Special Olympics Indiana—Ripley Ohio Dearborn Counties, allowing athletes with intellectual disabilities to train and compete on a local and state level in 20 Olympic-type sports.
Teams of 10 or less will compete for the bragging rights in the ultimate tug-of-war with a 50,000 pound fire truck. That’s right, the truck weighs 25 tons! But don’t worry, you’ve got this. Each team raises a minimum of $500 in pledges to see who can pull the fire truck 50 feet in the shortest amount of time. The team doing so will not only get bragging rights, but will also receive the Fastest Pull Challenge trophy. After the Fastest Pull Challenge teams will then compete in the Lowest Combined Weight Pull. Teams can raise money through hosting fundraisers, individual pledges, or sponsorships. All participants must sign a waiver of liability.
12:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. Fire Truck Team & Kiddie Pull Registration
12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Safety Town
12:00 p.m. – The Firehouse Kitchen
1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Team Captain’s Meeting
1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Opening Ceremonies
2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Kiddie Pull
2:15 p.m. – The Pull w/ Awards immediately following.
Team members will line up on the rope attached to the fire truck. The official starter will signal when to start the pull. After the team pulls the fire engine 50 feet, or five (5) minutes has elapsed, the stopwatch will stop. Elapsed time will be recorded as the team score. Each team will be given three attempts. The team that completes this task in the least amount of time wins the “Fastest Team Pull” trophy.
LOWEST COMBINED WEIGHT PULL
See how many teammates it takes to pull the fire truck! Start with one or two. Continue to add teammates until your team pulls the fire truck the distance of 50 feet, you’ve only got five minutes. At the end of your pull, the weight of those teammates pulling the truck will be added together. The team pulling the fire truck with the least amount of team weight will claim the “Lowest Combined Weight Pull” trophy.
EVENT RULES AND TEAM INFORMATION
- All participants must have a signed waiver submitted with the team registration. A wrist band will be given for each team member submitting a signed waiver. Wrist bands must be placed on the team member by an event volunteer.
- Each Team Captain will be responsible for the submission of all registration paperwork.
- Registration is limited to the first 30 teams who complete and return their registration forms in good order, including remittance of the minimum team entrance fee of $500.00, the team must raise a minimum of $500 through hosting fundraisers, individual pledges, corporate or union sponsorship.
- Teams are limited to no more than 10 members.
- Teams registered before July 30th will receive “official” Fire Truck Pull t-shirts for each team member. Registration must include the minimum $500 team registration fee. Additional funds can be turned in day of event.
- The Event will take place, rain or shine.
- In the event a team member cannot participate after he/she has been registered, the Team Captain may appoint an alternate team member. Alternate team member is required to submit a signed waiver, may not receive t-shirt in correct size.
- Recruitment of team member(s) from other teams the day of the event is not permitted. A team member may only pull for one team.
- Teams may station their pullers on the rope in any order but may not tie the rope around the anchor puller.
- Rope attachments, such as Velcro, are not allowed.
- Pullers may remove slack from the rope but must not begin pulling until signaled.
- The signal to begin the pull from the Pull Coordinator is… Ready, Set, and the blowing of an air horn.
- Timing begins at the sound of the horn and continues until the truck is pulled the required 50 feet distance or 5 minutes has elapsed. Elapsed time will be recorded as the team score.
- Pull Coordinator will signal the end of the pull and the truck brakes will be applied.
- Gloves are permitted. Shoes are required. NO FLIP FLOPS!
- A 1 1/2” diameter rope will be used for the competition.
- Upon completion of their first pull, the team will immediately assemble in front of a fire truck for a team photo.
- Teams will be given three attempts for the “Fastest Pull” challenge and their fastest time will be used for the consideration of the challenge.
- All team members touching the rope during the “Lowest Combined Weight” Pull will be weighed immediately following their pull.
- Awards ceremony will immediately follow the close of the competition.
- The decisions of the FTP Committee are final.
HOW TO REGISTER
I HAVE A TEAM
To register yourself and your team for the Fire Truck Pull, complete the “Team Registration Form”. Please have each individual that is considering participating complete an “Individual Registration/Pledge Form” and sign the release and waiver of liability form. Register your team before July 30th and your team will receive an “official” Fire Truck Pull t-shirt. Registration must include the minimum $500 team registration fee. Additional funds collected can be turned in on the day of the event. Otherwise, team registrations are due by 1:00 p.m. on the day of the event.
I DON’T HAVE A TEAM
So, you’ve got what it takes, but your friends don’t? Created for those individuals with weak friends and needs us to assign him/her to a team. All you have to do is complete the “Individual Registration/Pledge Form”, sign the release and waiver of liability form and raise $50 in pledges. Register by before July 30th and you will receive an “official” Fire Truck Pull t-shirt. Registration must include the minimum $50 registration fee.
WHERE TO MAIL REGISTRATION
Completed registration forms, signed waivers and pledges/registration fee can be mailed to: Special Olympics Indiana, Ripley Ohio Dearborn Counties, 429 Manchester Street, Aurora, IN 47001. Please make checks payable to Special Olympics Indiana. Remember registration and fee must be received by August 5th in order for you and your team to receive the “official” Fire Truck Pull t-shirt.
- Fastest Pull Time 1st, 2nd & 3rd
- Lowest Combined Weight Pull
- High School Challenge
- Top Team Fundraiser
- Top Individual Fundraiser
- Top Special Olympics Athlete Fundraiser
Calling all kids 8 years old and younger! Have your parents register you for the Kiddie Pull the morning of the event. It’s free! Then get ready to put your muscles to work pulling a fire truck with a team of other kids.
Safety Town is a fun and interactive way for children to experience and learn safety lessons.
BECOME A SPONSOR
Special Olympics Indiana – Ripley Ohio Dearborn Counties’ second largest fundraising event has raised more than $116 thousand dollars since its inception in 2012.
Join the Fun
Sponsorship opportunities for the Fire Truck Pull are available for companies that want to partner with Special Olympics Indiana – Ripley Ohio Dearborn Counties. Fire Truck Pull sponsorship affords recognition in registration mailings, digital communications, website recognition, and day of event banner.
Please contact Greg Townsend at email@example.com for information about becoming a sponsor.
About Special Olympics Indiana
As a non-profit organization, Special Olympics Indiana relies on and greatly appreciates the support of its dedicated partners and donors, whose generous contributions fund the sports, health, leadership and advocacy programs we provide for our athletes.
Special Olympics Indiana receives no federal or state-appropriated funds and depends entirely on corporate, civic and individual donations to continue its programs for more than 17,000 Hoosier adults and children with intellectual disabilities.