As Special Olympics Indiana continues to prioritize the health and safety of all athletes, volunteers, and families during this unprecedented pandemic, in-person competition and events continue to be cancelled, limited and/or alternative activities offered. Whether or not to hold statewide competition is a sport-by-sport decision with guidance from Special Olympics International and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. As we have come accustomed to over the past ten months, things change quickly. So with that in mind, Special Olympics Indiana is moving forward with plans to hold the 2021 Winters Games.
While there are still challenges to overcome, Special Olympics Indiana and the County Coordinators are planning for an in-person Winter Games. Safety is still our number one priority in planning. We are working with Perfect North Slopes and our Sport Management Team to put the necessary protocols in place. The Games may look a little different, but there will still be the same excitement and fun taking place.
Here’s what we know…
- Nothing is guaranteed. Even though we are planning for an in-person Winter Games, there is still chance of them being cancelled
- Scheduled for Monday, January 11th and Tuesday, January 12th at Perfect North Slopes
- In order to mainatin social distancing, participating delegations will be split over the two days; the games will be a one day event for each delegation. Due to the size of ROD’s delegation, our delegation will be split over the two days.
- Games will be formated so an over night stay is NOT necessary; things will be different than in years past
- All meals will be served at Perfect North
- No large indoor Opening Ceremonies. No Winterfest.
- No spectators, families or friends in order to keep groups to 50 or less and maintain social distancing
- All athletes, coaches and volunteers will be screened, mask must be worn
- No snow tubing after the Games
- ROD will be hosting a very short outdoor opening ceremonies
- Plan to spend majority of the day outdoors
What you need to do…
If you are interested in participating in the 2021 Winter Games, you MUST contact County Coordinator, Greg Townsend, by Monday, December 7th.